This week, I wanted to share with you one of the recipes from my upcoming book, High Fiber Keto. This high fiber keto recipe version of chicken tenders is fairly similar to a conventional preparation. The chicken is so crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside, and I found it’s even better when dipped in avocado mayo. Adding the Brussels sprouts and sauerkraut make the meal rich in prebiotics, probiotics, and sulforaphane, a phytochemical that lowers your risk of inflammation, oxidation, cancer—and even wrinkles!
PARMESAN CHICKEN TENDERS WITH ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS KETO RECIPE
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 large breasts) cut into strips
2 tablespoons avocado oil, plus more for greasing the wire rack
1 pound Brussels sprouts, quartered
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
Pepper to taste
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup sauerkraut
1/4 cup Avocado Mayo
Makes about 1 cup
1 egg yolk
1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste), divided
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3⁄4 cup avocado oil
- Place the egg and egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice, salt and turmeric in a food processor. Process until combined (about 30 seconds). Then with the food processor running, use the attachment that allows you to slowly add oil to add the avocado oil, blending until it is completely emulsified. Taste for salt, adding more if preferred.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a wire rack inside. Brush the rack with avocado oil and set aside.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a baking dish and toss with the avocado oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until crispy on the outside and tender in the middle.
- While the Brussels sprouts begin to roast, set up two large, shallow bowls. In the first, crack the egg and beat it with a fork. In the second, mix the Parmesan cheese, almond flour, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic, and oregano.
- Dip each strip of chicken in the egg mixture and then in the cheese mixture and set on the wire rack.
- Bake the chicken strips with the Brussels sprouts for 12 to 15 minutes until crispy and cooked through.
- Serve the chicken and sprouts with a side of sauerkraut. Top with Avocado Mayo or place a spoonful on the side.
Nutritional analysis per serving (1/4 tenders and Brussels sprouts): calories 480 • fat 31 g • protein 38 g • carbs 14 g • fiber 6 g