This delicious crisp captures the essence of nature’s flavor trilogy: sugar, salt, and fat. Typically when we eat this combination it’s pretty darn difficult to stop! Studies reveal that foods like pastries and chips are specifically hard to control because of this addictive combination our brains are wired for. But there is a way to upgrade the quality of ingredients so you can still enjoy life’s pleasures without sacrificing your health. The next time you want a homemade comforting dessert but don’t want to risk your health over it, try this crisp.
The berries provide natural sugar along with antioxidants and fiber. This alone already makes this recipe a winner! The salt provides precious minerals and the fat comes from a combination of sweet butter, brain-enhancing MCT oils, and luscious coconut. The science is amazing for coconut oil and this is a fun way to get more of it into your diet! Just be sure to source a product made from real, pure coconuts. Ideally, you want to ensure your oil was made using cold – pressed technology so the quality of the fats is retained, especially the MCT oils that make coconut oils so healthy!
GoodFats: Berry Crisp
Glow15: High day
1 cup blackberries
1 cup wild blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Simply GoodFats Vanilla Creamer
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
½ teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
2 tablespoons chilled grass fed butter
2 tablespoons Simply GoodFats Organic Coconut Oil
1 tablespoon monk fruit sweetener
- Place berries in a large bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice, Vanilla Creamer, and arrowroot; gently toss to combine.
- In a food processor, combine almond flour, salt, butter, oil, and monk fruit.
- Place berry mixture in a 3-quart baking dish
- Evenly spread crumble topping over berries
- Bake covered at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove cover, and bake for another 20 minutes or until crumble is golden brown and “crisp.”
Nutrition Facts: (serving size: 1/8 crisp) Fat: 18 g Protein: 5 g Fiber: 4 g Carb: 13 g Net Carb: 9 g