This is the perfect way to indulge in a fall favorite without the laundry list of toxic chemicals that disrupt your metabolism and propel your blood sugar on a roller coaster ride of highs and lows. The healthy fats from the coconut and cocoa butter in this recipe bring out the natural sweetness of cinnamon and nutmeg not mention their high polyphenol count. If you need a little-added sweetener choose from real maple syrup or add a little monkfruit. Monk fruit looks like sugar but it has zero calories, and zero impact on blood sugar but it does contain antioxidants to protect you from free radicals responsible for aging and disease progression. Enjoy this latte – smoothie as a breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Smoothie
Serves: 2 servings
• 2/3 cup real pumpkin (canned is okay, choose BPA – free lined cans)
• 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
• 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond or hemp milk
• 1 cup strongly brewed coffee or espresso
• 1 tablespoon coconut butter or cacao butter
• 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
• 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
• 2 teaspoons real maple syrup or monkfruit powder
• 1 scoop high-quality protein powder. If choosing whey select grass-fed non-denatured whey protein powder
• 1 scoop of collagen
Combine all ingredients except for the protein powder in a high-speed blender until smooth. Pulse in the protein powder and blend until evenly combined.