I know you are wondering what the best keto vegetables are. Along with having variety and diversity in the diet with plant foods for the benefits to the microbiome and nutrition, there are many vegetables that have become staples in my High Fiber Keto lifestyle.
Here are a few of the best vegetables for keto.
- Artichokes – Artichokes aren’t the first veggie we typically think of, but I believe that they should be! Often underappreciated, the artichoke is truly a low carb high fiber star. A single globe artichoke (the big ones where you scrape off the tender part of the leaves until you uncover the heart) can have over 10 grams of fiber, making it one of the most fiber-rich foods that we can eat. The added bonus is that artichokes are also low carb and fit into a High Fiber Keto lifestyle.
Artichokes also support detoxification, liver health, heart health and provide important antioxidants to the body. I love artichokes so much that I actually devote an entire section of my High Fiber Keto book to the artichoke including a number of amazing artichoke bonus recipes!
- Cauliflower – One of the reasons I love cauliflower so much is because of its versatility; it can even be a great substitute for rice or the base of a pizza crust. I’ve also seen cauliflower flour available, which can be a great option for keto baking. This week, you’ll see cauliflower as one of the stars in my Keto Roasted Vegetables recipe.
Nutritionally, cauliflower is similar to other vegetables in the cruciferous family and is low-carb while providing fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, vitamin B6 and certain minerals.
- Broccoli sprouts – Speaking of cruciferous veggies, broccoli sprouts are the food highest in a compound called sulforaphane. Sulforaphane is one of the best cancer-protective constituents we can eat and helps the body to detoxify from estrogens. As women age, we tend to have symptoms of something called estrogen dominance (think belly weight gain, moodiness, anxiety, fibrocystic breasts, decreased memory, etc.). The ability of our female bodies to properly detoxify a specific type of estrogen metabolite known as 4 – Hydroxyestradial or (4 – OH E1) is paramount to avoiding female-centric cancers such breast or ovarian cancer that we become more susceptible to as we age. Another amazing benefit of sulforaphane is that it helps your body to increase antioxidant production and the effect can last for days! Broccoli sprouts also provide fiber and a nice dose of vitamin C, among other vitamins and minerals.
- Seaweed – Sea vegetables like kelp, kombu, wakame, and nori are another High Fiber Keto favorite. These veggies contain very few carbs and instead provide a whole host of minerals including iodine and the electrolyte minerals – sodium, potassium and magnesium. Electrolytes are critically important while on a keto diet and most people transitioning to keto actually need more salt in their diets. Seaweed is a great food source! If you can’t stomach seaweed (or even if you can), I recommend including an Electrolyte Powder in your routine to help with hydration and mineral balance (I have my own Naomi Electrolyte Powder coming out later this month – I can’t wait to share it with you!).
There are many ways to incorporate more keto-friendly veggies into your daily diet in order to up your fiber intake. Here are some tips:
- Add veggies to a smoothie – cucumber, celery, cauliflower, artichokes, spinach
- Sprinkle ground seaweed over meals
- Add a side salad to dinner
- Try zucchini noodles and cauliflower rice
- Add artichoke hearts to hummus or creamy salad dressings
- Snack on raw veggies, like celery and jicama
- Make a slaw, like this Skin Healing Purple Cabbage Slaw
- Try a keto vegetable soup made with high fiber veggies and bone broth
- Roast vegetables frequently
For more info on keto and wellness, videos, product coupon codes, and more, subscribe to my weekly newsletter. You can also pre-order my new book High Fiber Keto today, which is coming out in just a couple of weeks! I am ecstatic to share the insightful, science-based information in this book with you, as well as an easy guide for a true lifestyle change for keto that really works.